Wednesday 7 May 2008

python-xml module depreciated in Hardy/Debian

If you've recently installed the shiny new Hardy Heron release of Ubuntu, or updated to the latest Debian, you may be surprised that a few old xml techniques in python no longer work. For example, the following no longer exist:
from xml import xpath
from xml.dom.ext import Anything_Really

See for more details and a temporary workaround: http://www.aigarius.com/blog/2008/05/06/ubuntu-removing-xml-from-python/

Now, the reasons for the depreciation I can understand - the package has seen no real updates for some time, and a subset of its functionality is no part of the core python system. But no real warning? That's annoying.

It does mean that I'll have to update my (admittedly oldschool) xpath-dependent functions to use elementtree, which I had intended to do, but now my hand is forced :)

No comments: